Are you shopping for a new home? Regardless of if you are a first-time buyer or not, purchasing a new home can be daunting. The experts at Axberg put together a New Home Checklist – everything you should pay attention to while looking for homes.
INSPECT YOUR ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS
- Pay attention to the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in the home. Keep in mind, they do have an expiration date; 10 years for smoke detectors and 5 years for carbon monoxide detectors. Make sure your smoke detectors are interconnected. This means they will communicate to the other smoke detectors in the home. Meaning, if one goes off, they will all start going off. It is important to note, however, that carbon monoxide detectors are not interconnected, but there is a solution – combination units!
- Make sure there are GFI-protected outlets at all appropriate locations in the home, including any unfinished part of the basement, the kitchen (any countertop requires GFI protection), bathrooms, exterior outlets, and the garage.
- Take note of the condition of the main electrical panel. You’ll want to make sure there isn’t any visual damage or corrosion anywhere on the panel.
EXAMINE YOUR NEW HOME’S HVAC SYSTEM
- Look outside by the AC unit and make sure there’s nothing obstructing the unit. It should be clear all the way around. Take note of any corrosion on the coils and whether the unit has been well maintained. If it hasn’t, you’ll know. Trust us.
- The thermostat in the home should be programmable and digital. It’s not a deal breaker to have an older thermostat model, but it’s definitely not ideal.
- Check around the furnace, keeping an eye out for any signs of water damage. This could be the result of a leaking humidifier coil. Check for any signs of corrosion.
INSPECT YOUR PLUMBING
- Most of the key plumbing issues you should be on the lookout for will be covered under the home inspection. However, the one thing that usually isn’t is the sewer system. Before signing on the dotted line, we recommend you get the sewer system inspected. Left unchecked, it can be the cause of several costly issues down the road.
Remember, the pros at Axberg are always there when you need us and are happy to help you out with every facet of your home! Give our experienced team a call today or contact us online to schedule premium services for your new home!